Legislative items: reports and resolutions
Submitting Reports and Resolutions
Any Illinois Great Rivers Conference member or entity may submit a resolution for consideration by the annual conference. Resolutions will be ruled out of order if they conflict with the Book of Discipline, which can be changed only by the General Conference. All resolutions become the property of the annual conference once they are published in the Pre-Conference Workbook or, as in case of the Supplemental Packet, received by the annual conference. No resolution containing information deemed to be libelous will be printed.
Deadlines for Submitting Reports and Resolutions
- February 15 -- Reports or resolutions with implications for Finance and Administration
- February 15 -- Reports or resolutions with implications for Pensions and Health Benefits
- February 15 -- Reports or resolutions impacting Standing Rules
- March 1 -- All other reports and resolutions for pre-conference workbook
- April 1 -- Reports for the Journal-Yearbook only
- May 1 -- Reports or resolutions for the Supplemental Packet
The Supplemental Packet
In the event the March 1 deadline is missed, persons may submit materials for inclusion in the Supplemental Packet. This packet is not available to members until the first day of conference.
- No reports or resolutions will be accepted after the May 1 Supplemental Packet deadline.
- All reports and resolutions for the Supplemental Packet must first be approved by the conference secretary.
- Sixteen hundred (1,600) copies of the document(s) must be provided to the Springfield United Methodist Center mail room (5900 S. Second St., P.O. Box 19207, Springfield, IL 62794-9207) at the expense of those submitting the documents.
- In order to be considered, all reports and resolutions in the Supplemental Packet must be received by 2/3 of those present and voting at annual conference.
Specifications for Submitting Reports and Legislative Items
- Please submit your documents electronically by email attachment, jump drive, or CD-ROM. Send to: ACSecretary@igrc.org or c/o Annual Conference Secretary, PO Box 135, Glasford, IL 61533-0135.
- Please submit resolutions and reports in MS Word. Budgets or other tables should be submitted in Excel.
- Use your spell checker. Make sure the names of persons are spelled correctly. Use full and correct titles.
- Do not type in all caps. Do not use your spacebar for anything except spacing between words (one space) and sentences (two spaces).
- Make certain that statements in reports and resolutions are documented (indicate your source).
- Consider the use of acronyms for committees, boards, etc., in reports, resolutions, and amendments. (See Yellow Information Section in the Pre-Conference Workbook)
- Along with the report or legislative item please:
- Provide a suggested title
- Provide a one-line description of the content
- Provide the names of those submitting the legislative item.
- Indicate if you believe it has implications which need to be considered by the Conference Council on Finance and Administration or Conference Board of Pensions and Health Benefits.
Formal Comments on Legislative Items
- Legislative Items with fiscal implications for the annual conference must first be reviewed by the Conference Council on Finance and Administration (CCFA) at a scheduled meeting and are subject to formal commentary by this body in the heading of the item. For this reason such resolutions must be submitted by the Feb. 15 deadline. (See Standing Rule III.D.3)
- Legislative Items with implications for pensions and health benefits must first be reviewed by the Conference Board of Pensions (CBOP) at a scheduled meeting and are subject to formal commentary by this body in the heading of the item. For this reason such resolutions must be
submitted by the Feb. 15 deadline. (See Standing Rule III.D.5)
- Legislative Items with implications for either CCFA or CBOP are first submitted to the conference secretary, who will forward the items to the appropriate body for review.
- Failure to follow these procedures will prevent items from being printed in the Pre-conference Workbook or Supplemental Packet.
Letters Directed by Annual Conference Action
Any individual or group requesting letters be sent by the annual conference secretary needs to be aware of the following procedure. The maker of the motion, report, or resolution will be required to furnish a sample letter (electronically), as well as the names and complete postal addresses
for all recipients to whom the letters are to be sent.